We recommend to use one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge

Церковь святой Варвары

Церковь святой Варвары
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Кореличский район, д.Райца

St. Barbara Church March in Rajec Korelichski district was built in the early XIX century by order of the landlord Rezkogo. Raitsa belonged to the ancient raetsky family back in the XVIII century, at the beginning of the XIX century it was listed as Jozef Vereshchaka, brother of Adam Mickiewicz's Muse, Maryly. The temple was conceived by the landowner Raetsky immediately after the Napoleonic wars. It was built of rubble stone and brick in 1817, based on the shape of a ship. It was conceived as a Church-tomb. The style of the architects chose Gothic, giving the temple a severe look of medieval castles. The original building has not been preserved, but even after restoration, it attracts architecture lovers who come to rest in the Grodno region.
The Church was Catholic for only 50 years, and after the Kalinovsky uprising, in 1863, it was transferred to an Orthodox parish. The raetsky family agreed to this, and the Church was consecrated in honor of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Rod raetsky long March in Rajec did not stay after these events: in 1897 the estate was sold to Avianca Budameru, grandson of Maryla Vereshchaky. In 1910, the estate became a dowry of Yanina Zheltovsky. It has been empty since 1939.

The temple stood for many years, even several attempts to destroy it were not crowned with complete success. They tried to blow it up in the middle of the XX century, but the walls resisted – only the old statue of the mother of God, attached to the facade, fell. The original towers and counterforts were also destroyed, which deprived the temple of its unique medieval appearance. Finally, the attempts were stopped during the "Khrushchev persecution" of religion, when the last explosion occurred. It was restored only in 2003, and now tourists on vacation in the Grodno region can see this expressive building. The white building next to it was once the plebania, the priest's farmyard. From the original construction of the temple, only the fortified main entrance remained, which never fell under the blows of military equipment and time itself.


Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

*Comments may be used by this site administrators for posting on other web pages after editing.

10 PLN
17 — 24°C
220V / 50 Hz
+03:00 (Europe/Minsk)